What is D2L?
Short for Brightspace by D2L (formerly known as Desire 2 Learn), D2L is our learning management system or LMS. To access it, go to lms.gru.edu and log in with your usual NetID and password.
D2L Video Tutorials
I took some time to collect these video turorials from D2L’s YouTube channel. I sorted them according to a typical instructional design and teaching sequence, so you can easily find what you are looking for. I also noted the duration parenthetically, so you can tell how much time it will take to watch each video you identify as being useful.
Click + next to the categories below to expand them and x to collapse them.
Setting Learning Objectives
- Competency Structures
- See How Learners Progress Through the Competency Structures
Presenting Content: Modules and Files
Actively Engaging Students: Discussions
Actively Engaging Students: Groups
Assessing Learning: Quizzes
- Quiz Basics
- Question Library
- Benefits of Question Library (1’56”)
- Populate a Quiz with Questions from Question Library (1’33”)
- Import Questions into Question Library (1’50”)
- Create a New Question in a Question Library (2’05”)
- Create an Arithmetic Question in a Question Library (2’51”)
- Create a Question Using a Regular Expression in a Question Library (2’18”)
- Create a New Section in a Question Library (1’40”)
- Assess and Analyze
Assessing Learning: Assignments
Note: “Dropbox” was recently renamed “Assignments”.
- Integrate with TurnitIn
Assessing Learning: Rubrics
Assessing Learning: Grades
Communicating with Students and Other Course Faculty
Note: “News” was recently renamed to “Announcements”.
Copying, Importing, and Exporting a Course or Course Components
Managing the D2L Classroom
- Add a Participant to Your Course (1’30”)
- Take Attendance with D2L (4’55”)
- Create a Seating Chart ( 2’15”)
- Create a Session (2’18”)
- Track Course Completion (1’18”)
- Customize the Class Progress Page (2’10”)
- Use and Modify the User Progress Report (2’33”)
- Intelligent Agents: Create Custom Email Notifications (2’58”)
- Offset Start/End Dates from Semester to Semester (1’50”)
How can I get D2L training and assistance?
I offer a D2L orientation as well as many other D2L-related services. During these appointments, I not only go over the technology behind D2L (in some instances I may call on my technology counterpart or the D2L help desk) but especially emphasize best practices in designing and teaching D2L courses. Feel free to schedule a convenient appointment via my Book Now page, to address your specific training or service need.
If you should have an urgent D2L troubleshooting need and not be able to get in touch with me or my ISA counterpart in your college, you can call: